Side affects of Anti-Griefing Mods

Discussion in 'General' started by Thornhip, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Before I start I'm all for the mod, it makes base raiding on PvE servers far more difficult & expensive, but there are other issues it causes...

I use to be able remove most "misplaced barricades" from towns, military towers, and building doors with an appropriate tool (a few shots, ect.) but now they just don't die. Most barricades have taking on an immortal status that even Zombies can't break. I enraged two Zombies locked in the PEI boat and watched them pound on their wooden blockade (placed by someone else) for over 20 mins. They were still working on it when I walked away.

There are lots of Kipple like this lying around on PvE1, and more added everyday. Unless the eyes can be around 24/7 you can't trust everyone to follow the rules.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I agree that zombos should still be able to break things. Someone put claim flags/metal doors/glass windows on 90% of the buildings in PvE6 (found and cleared yesterday). It's much easier to abuse the fact zombos can't break barricades.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Its starting to be more of a pain in the ass than any problems it may solve, I'd rather be able to be griefed by my stuff being destroyed, then be trapped in a building by someone, or have trash blocking my way when I'm trying to loot somewhere.

4. Thornip: I hope your mean raiding PvP servers. Cory said anti-grief was not used there when I asked him last night.

I agree that it's a failure on the PvE servers. I brought up these problem points back in the testing phase and, sure enough, they surfaced almost instantly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 Thornhip, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    I wrote "on PvE servers", so... yah...

I wonder if there is a way for the Mod to distinguish between Structure (wall, windows, ect) and barricades? That would be one way to fix half the issues. I could live with being able to clear some items (and then just keep complaining about others ;).

The second would be a mod that displays item ownership, that way Admins could see who placed what, where.

6. Anti-grief was removed earlier today. The chat messages may take a while to clear.

7. A mod that shows object ownership would be a good tool, even if just visible to admins, so they can see who it was that built a grief bridge into someone else's base. Kind of make it a red-handed thing right there.

8. No one to date has attempted it so feel free to write a plugin. I'm sure the data is there because you can always salvage your own stuff.

9. I just wrote a plugin. Yesterday.

Actually, I didn't exactly write it, I resurrected it, fixed it's bugs, updated it to current versions of rocket and unturned, and submitted it back to rocket mod.

https://github.com/SgtSpamCan/Rocket-Mod-ItemRestrictions2

To be fair, I'm a software engineer that works with .net apps for a living. Otherwise, it might not have been exactly fair to dare me to do some mod dev when all I wanted was a little less griefing in the world. But I like a challenge. :)

After spinning up a server of my own over the weekend for my kid and his friends to play on I got a sense of how tough it can be to stop griefing. I also realize that some features of JustPlayHere servers makes it too easy, and I'm talking about PVE, not PVP.

-The item store sells the steely-Wheely tool for next to nothing. Make it a couple of thousand bits, or remove it.
    -The premium member kits for sale here come equipped with sticky grenades. I get what, 2 or 3 of them every day?

Were it not for that, it would be pretty hard to craft up enough items to do the kind of damage that is evident on PVE7. I suspect that griefers aren't into the kind of hard work that would be required to craft door-blowing explosives of the kind that beep when you arm them.

With my mod, I added these items to the ban list:

Code:
      <RestrictedItems>
        <Item><ID>254</ID><Descr>Grenade</Descr></Item>
        <Item><ID>519</ID><Descr>Rocket Launcher</Descr></Item>
        <Item><ID>520</ID><Descr>Rocket</Descr></Item>
        <Item><ID>521</ID><Descr>Rocket Iron Sights</Descr></Item>
        <Item><ID>1050</ID><Descr>Safezone Radiator</Descr></Item>
        <Item><ID>1100</ID><Descr>Sticky Grenade</Descr></Item>
        <Item><ID>1101</ID><Descr>Landmine</Descr></Item>
        <Item><ID>1102</ID><Descr>Claymore</Descr></Item>
        <Item><ID>1194</ID><Descr>Horde Beacon</Descr></Item>
        <Item><ID>1240</ID><Descr>Detonator</Descr></Item>
        <Item><ID>1241</ID><Descr>Charge</Descr></Item>
        <Item><ID>1302</ID><Descr>Missile</Descr></Item>
        <Item><ID>1353</ID><Descr>Stealy Wheely Automobiley</Descr></Item>
        <Item><ID>1364</ID><Descr>Hell's Fury</Descr></Item>
        <Item><ID>1365</ID><Descr>Hell's Fury Drum</Descr></Item>
    </RestrictedItems>
    That ought to about do it for most griefing vectors. Of course, where there's a will... there's another mod waiting to be written.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  10. [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.